This is a uniquely brilliant TED Talk. She makes a great point in regards to the connection between the artist (in any medium) and their audience. The connection is the point of the art, in my experience.
I couldn’t agree more with this simple advice from the legendary Saul Bass about the most basic component of your design knowledge – drawing.
I’m working on some updates to this website for the new year. I’m hoping to make it all much more visually interesting and less minimalist as it has been. I’ve also been working out some strategy for the year to be more involved in the website and blog throughout the year and not just blogging when something strikes my fancy.
Getting my tools out and making changes!
Hey, first actual blog post in way too long! Thought I’d write about the music that gets me through my work day. Thank goodness for Spotify, if you don’t have an account get one! Especially if you are either in the creative arts or just sit at your connected device all day for what you do. This is one technology that I strongly suggest running to.
Anyway, as an old fogey, I still prefer to listen to music in album format. That’s just the way I do it. So here they are, both new releases and old, the albums I’m currently enjoying:
- UNKLE – Where Did the Night Fall (Another Night Out)Â – Great album from what used to be a Trip-Hop outfit. They’re forging a new direction with this one and I think finds its footing rather well. As with all of UNKLE’s albums, this one is a collaborative work. Some stand-out tracks are Follow Me Down, Natural Selection, Another Night Out, and Money and Run
- Helvetia – Nothing in Rambling – This one has grown on me with every listen. A bit of a low-fi-rambling-space-music combination.
- Â Toy – Toy – New British band that has made a fine collection right off the bat. Keyboard infused shoegaze songs that play well late at night or mid-morning. As you can see below, they need to make some videos, even if they’re just done with iphones at shows.
- Â Massive Attack – Heligoland – I’m glad that after a couple of missteps, MA has another great album to follow up from 1998’s Mezzanine. Luckily, I got to see them touring this album and it only made me love it that much more.
- I Love You But I’ve Chosen Darkness – Fear is on Our Side – Harkens back to the moody stuff of the 80’s that I couldn’t get enough of as a teenager. Echos The Sisters of Mercy and the like. Hard to believe this band is from Dallas, TX…
So I’ve been having way too much fun using Instagram, as mentioned in an earlier post. It’s a great visual social networking tool. It’s especially useful if you’re in the early stages of leaning the art of photography as it can open up a world of feedback to help you along. I’m really jealous of kids today, though they will never know the wonderment of working in a darkroom seeing images come to life through chemical interactions.
Using Instagram reinforces my love of iPhoneography, that’s for sure!
This is a few months old, as you can tell by the abundance of snow in the video, but I thought it was worth posting here. I finally got around to experimenting with shooting and editing video on my iPhone. Itâ€™s a pretty cool process, Iâ€™m not sure why I havenâ€™t done any of this before now. My dog Jack absolutely loves snow and plastic flower pots. This film documents that love, or tries to anyway.
I’ve been getting more and more addicted to Instagram. Something that I was warned about before I started, I should have listened. Actually, I did listen. That was kind of a selling point for me. I wish you could customize the settings and combine them differently, but even still, it’s pretty fun to be limited and work to make the best decision based on what’s best for each image. I love that having an iPhone means that I always have a decent camera with me, always. And I love that I can do a wide range of post-processing while I’m out and about, not having to wait until I’m at my desk. I also love that this, for me, serves as constant inspiration for making photographic artwork.
My username on Instagram is: carllondon, follow me! Here’s a sampling of the photos I’ve uploaded.